Master list of frequently asked questions and answers
We have compiled a list of FAQs from the POST website and online to answer most questions related to police recruitment.
In California, a Peace Officer can be:
- UC, Cal State, and community college police, Cal Expo
- Game wardens of the California Department of Fish and Wildlife
- Police officers, Sheriffs, Deputies, Parole officers, County probation officers
- Correctional officers of the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
- Special agents with the California Attorney General and California Department of Justice
- California Highway Patrol, BART police, any railroad police officer commissioned by the Governor
- Park Rangers, State Park officers, County coroners, Deputy coroners, State Fire Marshall, Deputy state fire marshals
- Fraud investigators of the California Department of Insurance
- Welfare fraud investigators of the California Department of Social Services
- Employment Development Department, or employed by the office of a district attorney
- California Department of Consumer Affairs and the California Department of Motor Vehicles
- California Military Department
- California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control
- Private university or college deputized or appointed as a reserve deputy sheriff or police officer
- California Department of State Hospitals and the California Department of Developmental Services
What are the requirements to become a police officer?
What is the hiring process like?
How much do police officers make in California?
Learn more about a police officer’s salary in California, which agencies pay the most, and view current police officer salaries.